Pre-Conference NFP Forum
Answering the Call in the Encyclical Humanae vitae for Evidence-based Natural Family Planning
Wednesday, September 19, 2018 ~ 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
InterContinental Dallas Hotel ~ Crystal Ballroom VIII
Cost per person $ 50.00
CME Credit TBD
Moderator: Kathleen Raviele, MD
Evidence for effectiveness of NFP methods to postpone pregnancy
Marguerite Duane, MD, MHA, FAAFP
Discussion questions –
- What does the current evidence tell us about effectiveness of the various methods?
- What are the critical gaps in knowledge with respect to use of NFP when postponing?
- Is there work currently underway to address these gaps?
Evidence for effectiveness in transition periods (postpartum/ breastfeeding, perimenopause)
Richard Fehring, PhD, RN
- What can we state wrt effectiveness of various methods in postpartum women?
- What can we state wrt effectiveness of various methods in peri-menopause?
- Can we identify the critical gaps for each?
Impact of NFP on marital dynamics
Michael Manhart, PhD
- Do marriages among NFP users differ in important ways from those using contraception?
- How does the “complexity/difficulty” of NFP affect the relationship?
- What is the impact of NFP on couples’ faith life?
Panel discussion (all 3 presenters, with moderator)
Summary, Conclusions, and Implications from today’s discussion
- What are the priorities for future work?
- What is the state of NFP 50 years on from Humane vitae?
Open forum Q&A from audience with the panel
- What does the audience see as priorities for future work?