Grand Rounds: COVID-19 Assistance Request Database
I pray that you and your loved ones are well. Please know the Board is praying for you. As we enter Holy Week, let us pray for one another and our patients in this unique Lenten journey. We remain confident in the joy and glory of the Resurrection. I have two very important communications to share with you:
First, I have received several requests from our members in New York urgently asking for volunteers to assist them with the overwhelming demand being placed upon the Catholic hospitals, practices, and clinics there. If you are a physician, medical professional, or chaplain in good health, please prayerfully consider helping. You could assist with non-COVID-19 patients so that the local medical community can be freed to assist with the influx of patients with coronavirus. Please click on the “COVID-19 Assistance Request Database” located on the “CMA Coronavirus Resource” page. I anticipate there will be rolling needs throughout the country, so please check back regularly, and if your Catholic healthcare community needs assistance please contact [email protected] and we will add that information to the database.
Second, below is an email I received from the White House Office of Public Liaison with updated resources which are useful for our profession and practices.
Lastly, I just want to take a moment and thank the tireless work of the Board, Committees, Staff, and all our members who have been sending in resources to share with their colleagues. These are challenging times, but the CMA has come together to be of witness and service to the medical community, the Church, and our patients. Please be assured of my continued prayers for you all.
Sincerely in Christ,
Michael S. Parker, M.D.
Email from White House: Update on Administration COVID-19 Efforts 04/02/20
This evening the Department of the Treasury and Small Business Administration issued guidance for the Paycheck Protection Program. The guidance can be found here:
Assistance for American Workers and FamiliesIn the weeks immediately after the passage of the CARES Act, Americans will see fast and direct relief in the form of Economic Impact Payments. For more information, CLICK HERE.Assistance for Small BusinessesThe Paycheck Protection Program prioritizes millions of Americans employed by small businesses by authorizing up to $349 billion toward job retention and certain other expenses. Small businesses and eligible nonprofit organizations, Veterans organizations, and Tribal businesses described in the Small Business Act, as well as individuals who are self-employed or are independent contractors, are eligible if they also meet program size standards.
- For a top-line overview of the program CLICK HERE
- If you’re a lender, more information can be found HERE
- If you’re a borrower, more information can be found HERE
- Final Borrower Application Form *NEW*
- Lender Electronic Data Form *NEW*
- Paycheck Protection Program – Interim Final Rule *NEW*
Paycheck Protection Program Resources
30 Days to Slow the SpreadPresident Trump announced updated guidelines this week to continue slowing the spread of Coronavirus in America. This 30-day window will be crucial: If every American does his or her part, the latest model suggests we could save 1 million or more U.S. lives. Please click here for more information: 30 Days to Slow the Spread (Español) How to Help – If you or your organization are interested in helping the effort to combat the spread of COVID-19, FEMA has established a website (www.fema.gov/coronavirus/how-to-help) with more information. Examples for the private sector include:
- To sell medical supplies or equipment to the federal government, please submit a price quote under the COVID-19 PPE and Medical Supplies Request for Quotation. Full details can be found in the solicitation (Notice ID 70FA2020R00000011).
- This solicitation requires registration with the System for Award Management (SAM) in order to be considered for award, pursuant to applicable regulations and guidelines. Registration information can be found at www.sam.gov. Registration must be “ACTIVE” at the time of award.
- If you have medical supplies or equipment to donate, please provide us detailson what you are offering.
- If you are a private company that wants to produce a product related to the COVID response – email [email protected].
- If you are a hospital or healthcare provider in need of medical supplies, please contact your state, local, tribal or territory department of public health and/or emergency management agency.
- If you are interested in doing business with FEMA and supporting the response to COVID- 19 with your company’s non-medical goods and/or services, please submit your inquiry to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Procurement Action Innovative Response Team (PAIR) team at [email protected].
For additional information please visit FEMA’s website: https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus/. White House COVID-19 Updates
- Memorandum on Order Under the Defense Production Act Regarding the Purchase of Ventilators (HERE)
- Statement from the President Regarding the Defense Production Act (HERE)
- Memorandum on Order Under the Defense Production Act Regarding 3M Company (HERE)
- Memorandum on Providing Federal Support for Governors’ Use of the National Guard to Respond to COVID-19 (HERE)
- President Trump Approves Disaster Declaration for Tennessee and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 1600 Daily – These 30 Days: How You Can Help (HERE)
Social Security Recipients Will Automatically Receive Economic Impact Payments (HERE)
- The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service announced that Social Security beneficiaries who are not typically required to file tax returns will not need to file an abbreviated tax return to receive an Economic Impact Payment. Instead, payments will be automatically deposited into their bank accounts.
DOJ and HHS Partner to Distribute More Than Half A Million Medical Supplies Confiscated From Price Gougers (HERE)
- DOJ and HHS today announced the distribution of hoarded personal protective equipment, including approximately 192,000 N95 respirator masks, to those on the frontline of COVID-19 response in New York and New Jersey.
OCR Announces Notification of Enforcement Discretion to Allow Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information by Business Associates for Public Health and Health Oversight Activities During The COVID-19 Nationwide Public Health Emergency (HERE)
- Today, the Office for Civil Rights at HHS announced, effective immediately, that it will exercise its enforcement discretion and will not impose penalties for violations of certain provisions of the HIPAA Privacy Rule against health care providers or their business associates for the good faith uses and disclosures of protected health information by business associates for public health and health oversight activities during the COVID-19 nationwide public health emergency.
Decontamination and Reuse of Filtering Facepiece Respirators using Contingency and Crisis Capacity Strategies (HERE)
- Based on the limited research available, ultraviolet germicidal irradiation, vaporous hydrogen peroxide, and moist heat showed the most promise as potential methods to decontaminate FFRs. This document summarizes research about decontamination of FFRs before reuse.
FDA Provides Updated Guidance to Address the Urgent Need for Blood During the Pandemic (HERE)
- As part of FDA’s ongoing commitment to fight the Coronavirus pandemic, today the agency issued guidance for immediate implementation to address the urgent and immediate need for blood and blood components.
- The IRS urged taxpayers to be on the lookout for a surge of calls and email phishing attempts about the Coronavirus, or COVID-19. These contacts can lead to tax-related fraud and identity theft.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Private Nonprofit Organizations Factsheet (HERE)
- This fact sheet provides guidance for determining the eligibility of PNP applicants and work performed in accordance with the COVID-19 emergency and major disaster declarations.
FMCSA Statement on Local Shelter in Place and Other Restrictions on Movement Relating to COVID-19 (HERE)
- States, localities, and territories may wish to consider the following when implementing any quarantine, movement, and/or screening requirements that impact freight and passenger transportation by commercial motor vehicles. These suggestions draw on lessons learned from State, local, and territorial actions to date, as well as Federal guidance recommending unrestricted movement and access for critical infrastructure workers.
For the most up-to-date information, please see the CDC’s website: www.coronavirus.gov. Thank you, White House Office of Public Liaison COVID-19: Background & Additional InformationThe President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for AmericaDownload the COVID-19 App: https://www.apple.com/covid19 For background and the most up-to-date information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Coronavirus Disease 2019 website: HERE U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
What you should know:
- Workplace, School, and Home Guidance
- People at Risk for Serious Illness from COVID-19
- How COVID-19 Spreads
- Steps to Prevent Illness
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What to Do If You Are Sick with COVID-19
- Stigma Related to COVID-19
- Facts about COVID-19
- Information for People at Higher Risk and Special Populations
Categorised in: Education