Public Comments and Amicus Curiae Briefs
Amicus Curiae Briefs
The Catholic Medical Association helps to defend medical professionals, conscience rights, and religious freedom by joining with public interest law firms including Alliance Defending Freedom, the Becket Fund, the Bioethics Defense Fund, and other legal advocacy groups to file amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) briefs in the most important legal cases of the day. For copies of select briefs in which the CMA has joined recently, click the links below.
2020 Amicus Briefs:
2019 Amicus Briefs:
- April 2020: Amicus Minton v. Dignity Health
- Amicus Minton v. Dignity Health: CMA Supports Dignity Health Catholic Hospital’s Rights of Conscience
2018 Amicus Briefs:
- Title X Funding: CMA Issues Joint Agency Public Comment Supporting Federal Law Preventing Federal Funding of Abortion.
- World Medical Association (WMA) and Conscience Rights: CMA Joint Agency Petition to AMA to Insist WMA Protect the Right to Refuse to Refer for Abortion.
2017 Amicus Briefs:
- Amicus Masterpiece Cakemaker v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission: CMA Supports Conscience Rights of Cakemaker Who Refuses to Cooperate in a Same-Sex Wedding.
- M.C. v C.M. CMA petitions US Supreme Court to End Surrogacy Contracts which Treat the Child as a Commodity Similar to Human Trafficking.
The CMA has joined other organizations, respectful of human life and the dignity of human reproduction, in filing a friend of the court (Amicus) brief to the US Supreme Court demonstrating the detrimental effects on the child, and the vulnerable gestational mother, of Surrogacy Contracts. The goal is to have such contracts declared unconstitutional.
- CATHOLIC BENEFITS ASSOCIATION;DIOCESE OF FARGO; CATHOLIC CHARITIES NORTH DAKOTA; and CATHOLIC MEDICAL ASSOCIATION v.UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES; and UNITED STATES EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION (2017)
- MASTERPIECE CAKESHOP, LTD., AND JACK C. PHILLIPS v. COLORADO CIVIL RIGHTS COMMISSION, CHARLIE CRAIG, AND DAVID MULLINS
2014 Amicus Briefs:
- MICHIGAN CATHOLIC CONFERENCE v. SYLVIA BURWELL
- REACHING SOULS INTERNATIONAL, INC. v: KATHLEEN SEBELIUS (2014)
- KATHLEEN SEBELIUS v: HOBBY LOBBY STORES, INC. (2014)
2013 Amicus Briefs:
- LEGATUS v: KATHLEEN SEBELIUS (2013)
- TOM HORNE v: PAUL A. ISAACSON, M.D. (2013)
- CONESTOGA WOOD SPECIALTIES CORPORATION v: PAUL A. ISAACSON, M.D. (2013)
- HOBBY LOBBY STORES, INC. v: KATHLEEN SEBELIUS (2013)
- AUTOCAM CORPORATION v: KATHLEEN SEBELIUS (2013)
- CYRIL B. KORTE v: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (2013)
- TERRY CLINE v: OKLAHOMA COALITION FOR REPRODUCTIVE JUSTICE (2013)